The significant increase in population derived from the intense industrial activity of the council made it necessary to organise the urban space in the meadowlands. This resulted in a succession of expansion areas that were added to the foundational cores of Requexu, Oñón, Sobrelavega and La Villa de Arriba.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the first of these formed a grid in whose blocks a group of public buildings were built to meet the needs of a constantly growing population. These included the city council, the Aniceto Sela school group and the food market.
In 1904, a group of councillors signed a motion calling for the construction of a public market to provide a place where fresh food could be sold in the required conditions of hygiene and healthiness. That same year, Juan Miguel de la Guardia drew up the project that would follow the line of those he had already proposed for the Mercado del Progreso (1883), a market in Oviedo, and for the Villaviciosa food market (1901). The works were assigned to the builder José Miranda Antuña and in 1907, the inauguration of a facility that still serves its purpose today took place.
It is a large building that occupies one of the blocks of the expansion area of Mieres. It has a rectangular floor plan and a hipped roof with a projecting structure that allows the interior to be illuminated and ventilated. It can be accessed by its four façades, with the doors occupying a central position on each of them. They consist of a semicircular arch on Corinthian columns, pilasters and a pediment.
The interior space is organised by means of a central space and a corridor that surrounds it. The slender metal columns, which support the roof structure of the same material, allow the division of these spaces.