Wholesale Fish Market
Puerto de Vega, Navia
The first buildings for the auction and sale of fish appeared at the beginning of the 20th century. Until then, these transactions were carried out on the docks. In 1928, the Puerto de Vega fish market was built thanks to the Cofradía de Pescadores Nuestra Señora de la Atalaya.
It is a small building with a striking façade organized in three sections. It has many decorative elements such as mouldings on the openings, impost lines and features such as the oculus and the bell gable that give it a strong monumental character. In the nineties, the available space was enlarged with the addition of a new building at the rear.
The Cofradía de Pescadores Nuestra Señora de la Atalaya has launched an interesting programme of guided tours that also allow people to witness the fish auction. In addition, a didactic classroom has been installed inside the building, with the aim of explaining the history of fishing and its importance for Puerto de Vega